Thursday, April 5, 2007

Under Da Sea

The connections I have with the water and the sea are actually quite numerous. Well, not so numerous, but the few that exist are interestingly ironic. I recently made a connection between something I've been able to do for a long time and ocean life...

I can plug my nose with my upper lip (no jokes please). This talent is very handy for swimming because it prevents water from rushing up my nose, which is a nuisance. Yes, many of my fellow swimmers have been jealous of this and I utilize it as much as possible. For example, say I'm walking down the hallway and I start to get a whiff of an unpleasant odor (which happens frequently in dorms) all I have to do is pucker my upper lip and the smell is gone. Other people might have to use their hands or endure the unpleasantness, but not me.

A common question is "How do you breathe?" Simple. I part my lips slightly and breathe, while still holding my upper lip in place to block out the smell. Now, I don't do this while swimming because my breathing is a lot more frequent, so I usually only plug my nose during a flip turn or while kicking underwater.

The connection I made with my talent to the ocean is that whales have blowholes, which serve a similar purpose as my plugging my nose. This is indeed anomalous.

2 comments:

Todd said...

wow, just wow

Ariel said...

Also, when I take the garbage out and I have to open the big trash compactor I can plug my nose even though I don't have any free hands!