Saturday, April 14, 2007

My Book List

I love to read. It is one of my favorite activities. I am also always on the look out for new recommendations. I was pleased to find these suggested reads. Completing them all would most certainly leave one "classically and contemporarily wiser than most," and perhaps deserving of the title truly educated. But if after finishing them, you want more, I suggest the following. Most of my favorites are already included in the other sets and the following list may not provide the same level of intellectual stimulation as most of those, but I still find them enjoyable.

1) Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

2) A Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

Both of these novels are a similar read to 1984, though all are written in different styles. I always find it interesting to explore visions of the future.

The next three, though I would contend are all excellent novels, may be more palpable to the tastes of females.

3) Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

4) Emma by Charlotte Bronte (The first time I read this book, I did not like it. After reading it a second time, I was impressed by the amazingly detailed characterization of Emma.)

5) Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

And three additional classics

6) The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne

7) The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

8) To Kill A Mockingbird by Nelle Harper Lee

I went through a period in middle school when I developed an interest in the Holocaust. I read many novels, but my favorite was

9) Night by Elie Wiesel

10) The Chronicles of Narnia by C. S. Lewis (There are 7 books, not one in the series, but this is a series I think everyone should read. I would also suggest reading in chronological, not publication order)

1 comment:

Jim Anderson said...

If you like dystopian lit, you should read We by Yevgeny Zamyatin.