Thursday, April 12, 2007

My Brain is Leaking

My brain must be leaking. I consider myself a fairly smart person, but for some reason I can't seem to keep Spanish verb conjugations in my head. I have always been pretty good at Spanish, but seriously, I still struggle with past tenses (yes plural) and that's second year high school stuff. Now I'm up to "knowing" 15 tenses! How is that even possible? In elementary school we are told that there are three tenses: past, present, and future. Liars! There are 15! Allow me to list them for you:
  • Present
  • Preterit
  • Imperfect
  • Present Perfect
  • Future
  • Conditional
  • Pluperfect (haven't learned that yet)
  • Preterit Perfect
  • Future Perfect
  • Conditional Perfect
  • Present Subjunctive
  • Present Perfect Subjunctive
  • Imperfect Subjunctive
  • Past Perfect Subjunctive
  • Progressive

Isn't that ridiculous?! I'm planning on minoring in Spanish, but if I have to relearn all of these tenses every year, I don't see how getting a Spanish minor is possible. Also, every time I relearn these tenses they throw new rules at me! Why? I think I'd have to spend 15 years studying Spanish to really understand how to use the different forms (1 year per form). Did I mention irregular verbs? No? Well, there are tons of them. They don't follow any rules! Yes, I realize that English also has a seemingly infinite amount of irregular verbs as well, but come on, I already know those.

I can't imagine how terrible I would be if I hadn't been introduced to English grammar by Mr.Dent in 6-8 grades. I've met people here who still don't know about prepositions or nouns. I know my grammar isn't perfect and that there are lots of mistakes in all of my posts, but...wait, I'm off topic sorry.

My point is that my brain is leaking, therefore I cannot conjugate verbs.

No comments: