Thursday, April 5, 2007

Math: The Universal Language

I love the diversity on campus. It is especially evident in math recitation classes. Apparently people from other countries are much better at math than people from the US. This year 2 out of 3 of my TAs for math have been foreign. I like it. It is sometimes hard to understand what they are saying if their English is not so good, but I love hearing people from other countries speak. It's lovely. My favorite word to hear is "subtraction" pronounced "substraction" (notice the added 's'). It makes my ears smile.

The man in my class today was foreign with out a doubt, but alas he was only a substitute for my actual TA. I still have hope though because he said the name of the real TA and it sounded perfectly foreign. So, it's not quite 2 out of 3 yet but there are some definite possibilities!

No comments: