Friday, April 13, 2007

Moms Invade Pullman!

Yes, it is indeed the time of year when mothers from across the country travel to the remote location that is Pullman, Washington. Mom's Weekend is a huge deal at WSU. Only Friday, and mothers are crawling everywhere, like ants on a dropped french fry. I cannot even count how many times someone has asked, "Is your mom coming?" I then get to launch into the unusualness that is my upbringing.

"No," I respond. "I don't have a mother."

People then get an awkward and confused look on their face. I'm not sure, but I think they wonder if they misheard or something was misunderstood. I only allow this distress for a few seconds, however.

"I suppose someone gave birth to me," I explain, "but I was raised without a mother. I have a single father."

Everything now makes sense, but the person is still slightly taken aback. I think today's society likes to think of itself as quite progressive. People hear about stay at home fathers and think good for them, way to break the stereotypical role. At the same time, little attention is given to single fathers, but single mothers, oh single mothers. Yes, single fathers are uncommon, but they exist. I would simply like there to be some awareness of their being. And I would like Dad's Weekend to be put together with the same amount of effort devoted to Mom's Weekend. I think my requests are perfectly reasonable.

1 comment:

Ariel said...

Three Cheers for Bruce!

I think you need to come up with a different way to respond to that question by the way.