Friday, April 6, 2007

Safety Pins, Kleenex, and Matchbooks

When I was home for spring break I did a lot of cooking. The food at college gets old fast and I was eager to make up for lost time. I even wore an apron. When I put the apron on I felt a little heaviness in the pocket. I reached in and pulled out a book of matches. I couldn't help but smile. There is always a matchbook and some Kleenex in the pockets of anything my mom wears. Even now, as I write this, I can't help smiling.

She carries tissues because in the spring and summer she has allergies (not as bad as mine) and in the fall and winter she carries tissues because when it's cold your nose runs.

She carries matchbooks because she'll pick the book up to light a candle, or start up the pellet stove, or light the burn pile outside. I'm sure she has more matchbooks than a person who actually smokes!

As I was standing there in the kitchen with the book of matches in my hand, she walked in.
"Mom, why isn't there any Kleenex in this pocket?"
So, she reached into her jean's pocket and pulled some out. I had to laugh.
"You always have tissues and matches in you pockets!"
Then she reached into her other pocket and pulled out a book of matches and smiled.
"I know," she said.
"I love it," I replied. "What was your mom like?"
"She always had safety pins on her jeans. She'd find them around the house and put them on her belt loop. She had some on every pair of her jeans. We always knew where to find a safety pin."

So I ask you: What was your mom like?
I ask so that one day when your children tell you something quirky about yourself and ask you about your parents you'll be able to tell them. I'm also really curious.

2 comments:

Todd said...

awww how heartwarming...
as for my momi dont know if there was something that she ALWAYS carried, but she would save the rubber bands off of the newspaper and wrap them around the pen jar in the kitchen, i swear someday the glass was going to break on it because there were so many rubber bands. also she saves twistey-ties off of bread wrappers

Ariel said...

Oh! that's perfect!