Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Smarty Pants

I love knowing how things work. Especially the human body. Since I was little I've never hesitated to ask my mom questions about why the body does certain things. I always ask her because she's a nurse and well, she should just know. She's never been shy about answering my questions and I've never been shy about asking them, even the reproductive and/or digestive questions. We never went through the awkward "where do babies come from" speech, that I can remember, because we were really up front about things like that. I like to understand how my body works and my mom likes to tell me. I think it makes her feel smart, like I do after I know the answer to my question.

I get this natural inquisitiveness from both my parents, who are both full of the type of information I love to possess. Bless them both for their patience with me. If I'm not bugging them with questions, I'm boring them with my regurgitation of my useless information. I think they secretly love it.

Most of my friends also notice my sponge like absorption of information and often come to me with their random questions. Even if I don't know the answer I'm bound to look it up and get back to them.

It's funny because my spongy brain also rejects information. For example, Spanish verbs and history. While my dad loves to sit and watch the History Channel for hours, I find it rather dull. I like certain aspects of history, like art history, but wars and treaties and such don't click in my head. I feel bad for my history teachers, but especially my partners in my history classes, namely Christina. I wish when I was put on the spot to answer a question during H2O I could have said "I defer to Christina." That would have been nice.

Another problem with my fascination of random facts is that I am now interested in so many things. That made deciding on a major rather hard.

This post has gone in a different direction than what I had in mind. I was planning on talking about how much I love going to bio lectures and labs because I'm so good at it. I love when I'm the only person who knows the answers to some of the profs questions. I guess everybody likes being a smarty pants every now and again.

No comments: