Monday, April 9, 2007

The day I met someone from The NY Times

One of my favorite parts of being a journalist is all the people I have the opportunity to meet. While working on the administration beat this past semester, I have regularly met with university administration for interviews. No only have I spoken with President Rawlins several times, but I also had the opportunity to speak with and meet WSU's incoming President Elson S. Floyd. At the beginning of this year I interviewed Mike McGavick while he was on campus and have met numerous others whose names you would not recognize, but who I greatly enjoyed getting to speak with.

Just today, Ethan Bronner, a Deputy Foreign Editor for the New York Times, came into the newsroom to speak with The Daily Evergreen staff before going to a campus-wide presentation. Getting to meet such a prominent member of a field I am interested in was amazing. He also gave some sound advice.

On the ever present dilemma for print journalists on reporting versus editing, Mr. Bronner commented thusly:

"The difference between reporting and editing is like the difference between being single and being married with children. When married, there's not as much instant excitement, but you also have a sense of satisfaction."

For myself, who next semester will make the transition from reporter to editor, I also found his description of the role of the editor interesting. (I can already imagine myself missing the instant credit bylines provide.)

"To be a good editor, you find your glory in the glory of others."

He mentioned several issues facing newspapers including the rise of the Internet.

"People don't go to the newspaper for information anymore. They go online." (He even referenced the role of bloggers in this evolution, which places me in an odd situation. Am I supporting the means which will bring an end to newspapers and my future livelihood? I don't think so. I have faith that newspapers will find a way to survive.)

And lastly, he gave advice for competing in the field.

"To get a leg up, make yourself indispensable."

No comments: