Monday, June 25, 2007

RIP Nikon Coolpix L3

If you're thinking about buying a digital camera don't buy a Nikon. I've gone through two already and they are no good. They are nice for about 10 months, then they die. Mine recently passed away from a "lens error." This is apparently a common COD for the L3s. I wish I would have known this before. What a waste of money. It happened yesterday at Ali's grad party. Everything was going fine. I was getting some great shots, when suddenly it just stopped working. I was obviously frustrated, but I didn't mess with it because I was sure I would just break it more.

After the party Mom, Christina, and I went to Target to see if there was anything I could do to save it. I showed the guy and he said:
"Hmm. Did you drop it?"
"No," I replied flatly and honestly.
"Are we lyyying?"
"NO," Christina and I said together, disgusted at his accusation and belittling tone.
"Hmm. Well this is a common problem with the L3s. You can buy a new one or we can send it in, but that will cost money too."
"Great. Thank you."
We walked away.

Today I decided to troubleshoot online and see what other people did to fix the problem. There were many sites where people had posted their complaints that were identical to mine. The answers and suggestions consisted of: "slap it against your palm" "shake it" "squeeze it" "use a bobby pin to pop the lens back into place," etc. I tried them in order, including the bobby pin, which DOESN'T WORK! Don't try it. The bobby pin was the official COD for my camera. It only succeeded in shoving the lens in further.

Then I called Nikon. I could send it in if there was no physical "accidental damage" to the camera. That they didn't cover, only manufacturer error. If only I hadn't just done obvious physical damage to the lens! Craaaaaap. Looks like I'm SOL, seeing as how I don't have enough hours at Big 5 to make enough money to buy a new camera.

5 comments:

Todd said...

are we lyyying?

Ariel said...

are you stupid?

Christina said...

I love you Ariel.

Todd said...

no need for personal attacks now

Ariel said...

Well, that was a stupid comment. Think first, then type.