Friday, June 1, 2007

But I'm Supposed To Be A Hard Ass Today...

My allergies have been pretty much behaving this week. Usually the intensity of my symptoms fluctuates from day to day, but this week there really weren't any symptoms at all. I just figured my medicine was finally in constant circulation in my bloodstream, keeping the inflammation at bay. Nope. Wrong.

Today I had plans. Today I was going to be a hard ass. I had a meeting with my Writing 121 instructor to discuss the paper I'm currently writing. I was going to bring up my last paper and convince him that I deserved an A instead of the B he gave me. I was totally ready to be a grade grubber, which I usually am not. I had planned a few things I was going to say and everything, I was ready. But when I woke up it all changed. Being a hard ass takes energy. Being a grade grubber takes energy. All of my energy is currently being focused on my allergies. Runny nose, itchy eyes, sneezing...it's all there, wasting my energy.

So, as I'm sitting there in the café talking about blogging (that's what my current paper is on) he asks me if there anything else I wanted to discuss.
"Yes," I said. "I want to know why I got the grade I did on my other paper."
"Okay," he replied. Good start, Ariel.
So he pulled up my paper on the computer and started going through it, showing me things I could have done better. Because of my grogginess I actually wasn't paying much attention which was bad, because I needed to be prepared to argue. Then he pointed to a sentence on the screen and told me he had given me a link to The Onion. I was thinking "okay cool..." then I actually read the sentence and realized it wasn't my paper we were going through. So, I told him. Confused, he searched for the correct paper. I was excited because I was hoping he had actually given me the wrong grade. Nope, wrong again. He found my paper and there were less markings on it which made me happy, but he then explained how my transitions weren't great. Then he said that my thesis was confusing because he wasn't sure if I was saying that people should be more sustainable or businesses should be more sustainable. I just nodded and took another sip from my coffee. I said "great, thanks," and walked away.

Now I'm sitting in my room pissed that I was too groggy from my freaking allergies to be the hard ass I needed to be! He was wrong. There was one transition that was a little sketchy and my thesis talked about both people and businesses and I supported both! Why couldn't I have said anything? He also told me that one of my paragraphs was too long and I told him that the girl at the writing center (the visit was required) said I needed to connect the two paragraphs, so I did. His reply was "well maybe you misunderstood her." WHAT? I did not! How could I misunderstand that? I sat right there next to her and she drew a line on my paper with an arrow saying "connect" so I did! But did I defend myself? Nope.

Now I have to make a phone call and try to be a hard ass again, but I just don't think I have the energy. The one day I need to be tough and I can't...imagine how much more angry I would be if I had the energy.

PS This is my 100th post.

1 comment:

Todd said...

teachers have a way of shooting you down, even when you are right