Monday, June 4, 2007

I'm listening...

I've become enough of a familiar face around the plywood plant now that people who once always remained silent in my presence, are beginning to talk in front of me. Today during lunch I sat at a table with two others and ate my lunch. I'm friendly and I'll smile and such, but I'm not very talkative. I still keep to myself.

The two other people who sat at the table apparently thought that because I wasn't talking, I wasn't listening to their conversation, despite the fact that they were right next to me. I wasn't eavesdropping, I was just within blatant hearing range. One of them mentioned that it was hot yesterday. He looked my way, so I nodded in agreement.

"See, she agrees with me," he said. The other occupant of the table responded, "She doesn't even know what she agreed to. She's not listening to us."

I don't know why they thought I wasn't listening. I don't know what else they thought I might be doing. It was weird. Maybe they thought my ear plugs were still in.

1 comment:

Caroline said...

Hi Christina! Thanks for the gift. I love it so much but seeing you was by far better. Check in with your sister, she has news for you from the land of journalism. We have our last issue out- come out and say "hi". :)