Thursday, June 14, 2007

His name is not Jeff

I hope at some point I run out of embarrassing work stories. For the time being they just keep coming. It's as if getting a random phone number, accidentally staring at someone's lazy eye, and being asked it I like paint fumes isn't enough. Oh no, this also had to happen:

The plant is very loud so everyone wears ear plugs. It's quite difficult to hear and nearly impossible to talk to each other on the floor. My machine jammed up so I called the millwright so he could come fix it. I called him on the little red phone on the post and said, "#8 has a plug stuck."

The millwright came and he fixed. As he was leaving he said, "By the way, I'm Jeff."

"O," I replied, "I'm Christina."

"No, I'm Jeff."

"I heard you, I'm Christina. Nice to meet you. Thanks for your help."

"No, I'm deaf."

That's right. He wasn't telling me his name at all, but rather trying to let me know he was deaf and his hearing aid didn't work well on the floor. When I call, he said just to say the plugger number, and not the problem. His real name, I am still not sure of.

Have someone say "I'm deaf" to you while wearing ear plugs and you will understand how it can easily be mistaken for "I'm Jeff."

No comments: