Saturday, June 2, 2007

A Bug Hunt

I'm often surprised at how easily I fit right into my roles at home even though I've been gone for many moons. One of these roles includes being the go-to person for homework help.

Thus, early this morning before the sun got too high, I could be found running around in our fields of Camus and cattle with my younger sister. We were chasing insects for her collection due on Tuesday.

We made quite a few good catches. We caught several butterflies and beetles. We collected various species of flies and bees. Her collection has come together rather nicely I think. Now she just has to look up the common name, genus, and species of each insect.

Some of my favorite finds were the spit bug (which we caught because it got stuck to my shoe), the Lorquin's Admiral butterfly which I caught by a mad dash through sticker bushes (bad activity to wear shorts for), and the capture of what looks to be a miniature grasshopper. My sister really wanted a swallowtail butterfly, but alas, they continued to allude us and remained out of reach of our net. The other 30 insects just aren't quite satisfying enough for her.

No comments: