Thursday, June 14, 2007

A Morning of Frustration

Today my sister dragged me to Olympia with her. I was not happy. She was in a car accident a month or two ago and needs physical therapy for her back. So, last night she walks up to me and asks "do you want to go to physical therapy with me tomorrow morning, then to Capital, then to the Verizon store?"
"No," I replied flatly and honestly.
"Yes you do," my mom informed me.
The truth was that I really didn't want to go. Why would I? Her therapy was at 8:40 in the morning and I was going to be tired and my allergies were going to be killing me as usual, and I was going to have to sit in a cold medical office, and then wait for her in the car while she ran while she ran in to the school where she would undoubtedly run in to one of her friends and chat up a storm while I waited in the car, and then sit and wait for her in the Verizon store. On top of all this she'd probably be chatting and texting on her phone the whole time anyway, so what did she need me for? Sounds like Boresville to me.

And what do ya know, I was right. The morning started badly. I had tossed and turned all night, my allergies were indeed bad, I got up late and therefore didn't have enough time to get ready so I had to put my makeup on in the car, and I didn't have enough time to pour a cup of coffee. I was pissed.

We left the house at 8:05. I sat silently in the car while Ali sang and told me stories that I had already heard at least once before. Luckily, the therapy office was located right next door to the clinic. When we got there I announced that I was going to walk over to the clinic. "But we're going there after," Ali said. "Well, I'm going now." I didn't need to go in there with her. I'd have to sit alone anyway.

I walked to the clinic and sat down at the empty station next to my mom's. "Why am I here," I whimpered.
"Ahh my poor baby. For moral support," she answered.
I rolled my eyes because we both knew that Ali would have never come with me if I was the one in physical therapy. After a few minutes mom's doctor poked her head around the corner and asked, "are you hanging around for today?"
"Just until Ali is done with physical therapy next door."
"So, why are you here then?"
"I don't know."
"I understand," she chuckled.
A while later Ali showed up and we went to get coffee, thank God. Then we went to the mall.

Going there actually turned out to be convenient because I had somethings to take care of at the mall. When we got to the Verizon store though it was packed. This made no sense because it was 10 in the morning on a week day. Why weren't these people at work? Anyway, we decided to go to Target (new stop) and then come back. On our way to Target to get Thank You cards I convinced her to let me stop by Borders too...
"Can I run in to Borders really quick, please?"
"Sure, why?"
"Um...to get a book..."
"Oh, okay."

We went to Target, Borders, Verizon and then decided finally to go home. We were about halfway home when Ali said we needed to run to her guy friend's house to pick of some stuff she left in his truck. "No," I protested. I knew if we went to his house we would have to stay and chat for a while and I don't really like the kid, so naturally I didn't want to go to his house. I wanted to go home. After some arguing she agreed to just come home. Thank God.

When we got home I put my things in my room, then started to do the dishes because I can't stand a dirty kitchen. By doing the dishes I don't starting the dishwasher...I am the dishwasher. Anyway, as soon as I finished the dishes I wiped down the stove top and the counters, then cleaned Diego's bowl. As I was leaving the kitchen to put him back in this spot Ali walks past me with a stack of dishes and sets them in my newly emptied sink. My jaw dropped in amazement and I looked at her with a "what the hell?" look on my face. Seriously, doing the dishes is not a quiet job. So, why would you wait until I was done to bring in more? "These aren't even mine," she declared in response to the look on my face. "SO," I screamed in my head. Then she took out a pot I had just washed and started making something to eat. I had to leave. I sat outside for about 5 hours, too scared to come back in and see the mess she had most likely made. It all seems silly now, but at the time I felt so trapped.

No comments: