Thursday, May 31, 2007

Smells Like Money

Have I ever mentioned that Corvallis is surrounded by farms, so not matter how you look at it OSU is downwind. Usually the smell isn't that strong, but today because it was so warm and there was a little breeze it smelled like manure for the entire day. I actually don't mind the smell, it actually brings back memories. ¡Fun Fact!: Olfaction sensory nerves are processed in the same part of the brain as memories, thus when you smell something it can trigger a memory. Also when you think of a memory or a place you might remember a smell more than other senses like sound and touch.

When I was younger my family owned a worm casting business, basically we sold potting soil (very good dirt) and worms for composting. We would go to local farms and get cow manure for the worms. On the way there we would drive past other farms and dairies, usually down the Moxie or Highway 12. When my sister and I smelled the manure we would say the usual "ew," or "gross," or "who farted," and then laugh like little kids do, but my dad would always say "smells like money."

No comments: