Sunday, May 6, 2007

A Cooking Lesson

My father is the youngest in his family. He is quite a few years behind the next youngest and so though he has five siblings, for much of his childhood he might as well have been an only child. When the weather wouldn't permit him to play outside, he would watch my grandmother in the kitchen. My grandmother is an amazing cook. She even spent several years as a chef in a Mexican restaurant. All those years watching my grandmother turned my father into an amazing cook as well. He thought it was important for me to learn how to cook, so he always had me watching in the kitchen.

Now it is my turn to help my youngest sister learn how to cook. My father doesn't have as much time on his hands as he would like, so my sisters haven't received as many cooking lessons as me. Today, I gave my youngest sister one. We made oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, my favorite. I told her about the difference between baking powder and baking soda, she learned what granulated sugar was, and she saw that though the recipe says bake 12 minutes, sometimes you only need to bake 10. I think it was good lesson and if not, at least now there are oatmeal chocolate chip cookies to eat.

1 comment:

Ariel said...

One time I made no bake cookies and they didn't set. They were sitting on the dining room table and my dad walked in and went "COOKIES!" and I was like "NO! DON'T TOUCH 'UM!" He looked so sad...so I gave him a spoon and told him to go for it. It was funny because he was like such a little kid...