Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Bird of Prey

On Monday I was at home and my mom and I were out in the back yard. I was sitting on the trampoline and she was gardening. She decided to bring our guinea pig, Miles, outside with us to run around. She really doesn't run around, she just waddles around right next to where we are. Anyways, I was sitting there watching her when I heard the birds suddenly start chirping all at once. This made me think about how at Shasta, where all the Greek folks go every year, people were getting their little dogs snatched off their boats by eagles. When I first heard about this I laughed a little because little dogs are annoying, but then I thought about how I would feel if something like that happened to my dog and realized it must be horrific. Then I realized that Miles was in the grass and we have hawks around our place. So, I got up and sat down on the grass right next to her. Sure enough as I sat down I saw a hawk circling really close. Then he started flying towards me and Miles. "Look Mom," I yelled. Then I picked up Miles and held her close to me. "Whoa," she said. Then I told her the Shasta story.

We both couldn't believe it. Hawks never come that close to the house. He flew away a few minutes later, but I was paranoid so I just stayed on the ground right next to her. A little bit later as I was sitting on the ground I saw two more hawks circling pretty high right above me. It was nuts! He had brought in reinforcements! "See that shovel right there," I said to my mom, "if they come any closer I'm going to whack them with it...and I'm going to mean it." She said " You really think you can take two hawks with a shovel?" "Watch me," I said, "Plus you're here and you have a pitch fork." Not wanting to fight, I took Miles back into the house. It was pretty weird.

No comments: