Thursday, May 3, 2007

To be or not to be?

In the Wedding Date (a movie) one of the main characters says "every woman has the exact love life she wants." For a long time I didn't agree with this statement. I have been disgustingly single for 19 years. I want a boyfriend. When I thought about the statement more I realized that it was right. Even though I want a boyfriend, I'm not really ready for that kind of commitment while I'm in this transitional period. Not to mention relationships are a little scarey. This realization caused further pondering.


Do people make a conscious (or unconscious) decision to be happy or not? I could be happy if I wanted to, but I think when I got here, to OSU, I decided not to be happy. I didn't want to be happy, I didn't want to make friends, I became a shell person. I decided not to make friends because this was not a permanent situation. In my head I had decided that this was not where I was supposed to be and I should therefore be sad. Or did I? Maybe I am truly unhappy, but was it by choice? I could have been happy if I had looked for happiness. I think I did look though. I tried to make friends, but I was constantly looking for faults in them. Is this because I was trying to be unhappy? I'm trapped in a circle of philosophical nonsense.

Thoughts?

No comments: