Friday, May 18, 2007

My Inner Parent

I am often told that I have the tone of a parent depending on what I say and how I say it. I noticed it last night. My roommate's boyfriend asked me if I wanted to go to some random party tomorrow night (now tonight). I flatly said "nope," like I always do. He asked why and I said because I want to spend time with my sister and best friend. He asked me to come again and in my head I said "Don't make me say no again." Out loud I just laughed and told him we had plans. Like a parent I am bothered when people ask me the same thing over and over again and often find myself saying things like "Don't make me tell you again," "I said no," and/or "don't make me say it twice." Even though I really don't enjoy working with little kids and don't plan on having any for quite some time, my inner parent is ever-present.

No comments: