Monday, May 28, 2007

My NASCAR Lessons

I watched NASCAR for the first time yesterday. I was over at a friend's house for a barbecue and her family was watching it on television. I know very little about the sport.

I did not know that there are in fact two different activities where cars are driven at high speeds in a circle for hours: NASCAR and speed racing. I learned that each uses a different kind of car.

I did not know that races can take numerous hours. The NASCAR race we watched was 400 laps. It took something like 5 hours for the drivers to finish. I didn't watch for all of it. People in the stands did, however. I was amazed.

I saw Ashley Judd. I learned she is married to a NASCAR driver. Her husband won the race.

I also learned that crashes are quite common. Though they added entertainment value (which in a way I find sad), they didn't occur frequently enough for me to remain entertained.

I don't fault those who enjoy or derive enjoyment from watching the sport, I just do not understand how they enjoy it. But if they do, good for them. Just as I can't understand the thrill of watching cars drive in circles, I suppose many wouldn't understand how or why I enjoy some of the things I do.


3 comments:

Ariel said...

Actually there are three: Formula I, Formula II, and NASCAR. Also, why don't you just say that you went over to Ariel's house?

Todd said...

yea, you share the same blog, think we would know who you're talking about

Unknown said...

I think NASCAR is a sport in the same way Forenzics is.