Monday, July 23, 2007

Our Friday Night: Part Two

I think it has something to do with the tartness, but grapes really do make my teeth ache. Also, whether green or some other color, I can only chew grapes on the right side of my mouth. Grapes are too cold for my left side. It is very odd.

We then headed over to the cashiers to check out, but as we got there, no one was manning their posts at the registers. Luckily, we spotted a little thing that said "Self-Checkout."

I told Ariel we should try it. "It'll be fun," I said. I was sadly mistaken. It looked simple enough. There was the little scanning place and a small monitor with push buttons. I pushed a button that said something along the lines of "Begin Check-out," thinking to myself how easy it would be.


"Please scan your first item," the machine yelled.

"Ariel, how do you turn it down," I asked.

I don't know why I was embarrassed. I think having a machine yell at me just made me flustered. Still, I continued. I scanned my first item, a magazine. "Four dollars and sixty-five cents. Please place item in bag." (I ignored the directions and simply set the magazine off to the side. I was only purchasing a few items and didn't need a bag.) I tried to scan a second magazine but nothing happened."Please place item in bag," the machine loudly directed. It repeated this every time I tried to scan the second magazine. I gave up and put the first one in a bag.

After this, the second magazine scanned just fine. "How did it know," I asked Ariel. She didn't know. By this point, I was thoroughly embarrassed and frustrated. I found it annoying that the scanner yelled out the price of each item as you scanned it, even though the price showed on the screen. And what if I didn't want to use a bag. I shouldn't have to. It was a very pushy obnoxious machine and I did not like it.

No comments: