Monday, July 9, 2007

One Poor Dog

A show was playing on the T.V. in the background while I was checking my email. After an in depth interview with Daniel Radcliffe about Harry Potter's first kiss, I tuned the show out while I did some facebooking. That was until a story came on that I simply could not ignore. It was a story about a dog that suffered an embolism and whose legs became paralyzed. It was one of those sad/heartwarming tales. They gave the dog a pair of wheels to make it mobile again. Since it was a happy ending, I feel slightly less cold-hearted by shining light on some of the dog owner's crazy comments.

When the dog didn't come home ...

"We weren't sure what had happened. We thought maybe he had been attacked by a cow."

(A cow?)

What did you do when you went to look for him?

"As I ran out the door I grabbed a handful of ice cream. It's his favorite food. I wasn't sure what I would find but I thought at least his final meal might be his favorite."

(Wouldn't her hand get cold? Isn't it bad to give a dog ice cream? At least admitting on T.V. that you give your dog ice cream has to be bad.)

"It's so sad. He could once run 17 mph. He was like the wind."

This merely makes me wonder how fast dogs actually do run. Is 17 mph fast or slow? Is it possible to check a dog's speed with a radar gun?

Update: Only minutes later as the show which came on next went to commercial, "Coming up next, the dog that hops around like a rabbit."

It was a sad day for dogs.

No comments: