Wednesday, July 11, 2007

"The Celestine Prophecy" by James Redfield

I read the Celestine Prophecy this weekend and I was hooked from chapter 3. If you've never read this book go out and buy it today. It's worth the $14.

My mom read it years ago and has been suggesting it to me since, but I never had the urge to read it until recently. I wanted an easy summer read that wouldn't bog me down and I was sure this book was going to do just that. Mom assured me that it wouldn't so I decided to give it a try. Now, it's in my top 10.

Along with becoming one of my favorite books, it's also changed the way I look at things. It's almost like putting on a pair of glasses or taking them off, if you will. I've started noticing how my energy/attitude affects that of those around me. It has also made me think more deeply about my dreams/daydreams and about "coincidence" that I notice. My mom says this way of thinking wears off after a few weeks, but I don't think I want it to. I like to feel insightful.

The novel is about a man who travels to Peru to learn about a newly discovered and translated manuscript. The manuscript was originally written in Aramaic, the same language used to write much of the Old Testament. It dates back to around 600 B.C. and predicts how humans will start to evolve in the end of the 20th century. The Peruvian government is working to destroy all copies of the manuscript and publicly denies it's existence for fear that it will affect the church. It is definitely an adventure.

I hesitate to say I had some sort of personal enlightenment while reading this book because that would make it sound deeper and more intense than it actually was. And I'd hate to overuse the sight analogies, but reading this book was like unfocusing my eyes to see the hidden picture in the 3D eye teaser. Once you get the hang of it it's pretty cool.

I can't decide if I want to read the next one in the series because I'm afraid it will go too deep and cause me to lose sight of the picture. Then again it's so fascinating...


Go. Read it. See the picture.

No comments: