Thursday, July 12, 2007

No Smiles Here

We had a code of conduct meeting yesterday morning at work. (It had to occur in the morning, instead of giving us an excuse to avoid the 109 degrees it was in the plant by afternoon.) The meeting was primarily about harassment and mostly sexual harassment. I came away thinking that if anyone ever had any thoughts about asking me out, they surely won't now. I learned at this meeting that it is dangerous for men to speak to, look at, let alone touch a female co-worker. Same goes for women to men but at a lesser degree.

I think it is sad that we have to have meetings where supervisors warn, "even complimentary comments, like telling a woman she looks nice today, can be viewed as harassment." I understand why it has happened. I understand how important it is to discuss what sexual harassment is and to make it known that it is unacceptable. I understand that this meeting, as silly as I sometimes believed it to be (No kissing allowed between anyone on plant property even if married or family members. A brief arm around another's shoulders as a way of parting is, however, tolerated), was necessary. I understand, but I think it's sad.

No comments: