Monday, October 1, 2007

You are what you eat

I went on a food run with most of the ed board to Safeway yesterday evening. It was a chance to get something to eat other than dining center food. I went with a loaf of sourdough bread and several cheese sticks. I also got two giant cream puffs.

The bread and cheese lasted me through Sunday dinner and today's lunch and dinner. Similarly, I had one cream puff yesterday and one today. I bring all of this up only because I only just finished eating the last cream puff. They really were giant size and difficult to eat. The plastic fork wasn't cutting it, literally. I suppose I should also have picked up a plastic knife.

The puffs were filled with chocolate cream and had chocolate on top. I ate today's while wearing a white jacket. I managed not to get any chocolate on myself, a rare event, so kudos to me.

As we left Safeway, we discussed what our food options say about us. I was teased for having a bourgeoisie dessert while the copy chief's organic cream cheese was deemed elitist imperialistic oppression food.

I am fond of saying my character is full of contradictions. If what was said about my dessert is true, then even my food options contradict one another. The cream puffs may have been bourgeoisie, but bread and cheese is the meal of a peasant.

No comments: