Monday, October 22, 2007

Disappointingly Average

I'm in a bad mood today, and as I sat for an hour between my last class and when I meet my friends for lunch I reflected on my world, which is never a good thing especially when you're in a bad mood. Here's what I came up with.

Being average is annoying. I can't find one thing about myself that isn't average. I'm athletic. I have tried most popular sports and am decent at most of them, but I stuck with swimming because comparably I was better at it and I enjoy it. BUT in comparison to other swimmers I'm smack dab in the middle. I won some races and lost some but I was never THE BEST. I was a captain of the high school team...by default. There were only three seniors at the time and that's how many captains we needed.

I consider myself a smart person, but once again nothing extraordinary. I haven't received any scholarships for anything and I've applied for many. I almost got a 4.0...once. I was never in the top 10 or received any special recognition. I was just okay.

I work(ed) at Big 5 and was proud of that for about a week when I realized that the only way you can't get hired at Big 5 is if you don't show up for your interview. I, since gaining valuable retail experience, have applied for many jobs and haven't been able to get one.

I have never won a raffle, an auction, a drawing, a contest, or an election. Although I have never actually run in an election I have participated in each of the others multiple times and never won a thing.

Let's not even discuss my love life, or lack there of.

I know it may not sound like it, but I'm quite happy with my life. It just gets annoying when I can't get a job or financial aid that I desperately need because I'm so damn mediocre! It's even more annoying when I feel confident about a job interview or a scholarship essay then don't get it. That is one of my biggest down falls. I always set myself up for disappointment, even though I know...

PS Christina is not allowed to comment on this post (not that she usually does).

2 comments:

Todd said...

see but you are average at a TON of things, whereas i am only really good at somethings and TERRIBLE at most things, so i avoid them all together, for example, anything that requires more coordination than standing upright and/or walking, maybe jogging.

Ariel said...

I'm not really good at anything. I'm very well rounded at mediocrity.

I suck at a lot of things too, I just left those out:)