Saturday, November 17, 2007

Not Traditional, Yet Nostalgic

One of my favorite Disney movies is Lilo & Stitch. I watched it today after not having seen it for a while and about half way through the movie I remember thinking "man, I forgot how good this movie is." It truly is fantastic. The artwork alone is breathtaking. If you haven't seen it I suggest you do so. This movie is not just for children to enjoy. I happen to enjoy all (well almost all) Disney movies, but this one has a certain je-ne-sais-quoi, that allows anyone to find something special in it.

If you don't feel like watching it then I suggest you at least listen to the score which is magnificent. The best thing to do would be to watch the movie, buy the score, listen to it a bunch of times, then go watch the behind the scenes feature on the DVD. It shows the orchestra recording the music along with the movie and if you are an ex/current band geek like me you will think it's awesome.

The artwork in the movie is spectacular. The watercolor backgrounds are perfect for a movie set in Hawaii. The colors are vibrant and the shapes are indeed "soft and friendly." The design of the movie is truly different from every other Disney movie you have seen. If I can suggest one more thing it would be that you watch the movie once to understand the story, then watch it a second time and this time look at the backgrounds, and the colors, and the shapes.

Please do not just blow this off as some kid's movie. It's that attitude that keeps us from enjoying many aspects of life. I will now leave you with two very related quotes that I adore. "Never lose your childish enthusiasm and things will come your way." "No matter what happens, always keep your childish innocence. It's the most important thing." Trust me.

No comments: