Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Contradictions

When asked to describe myself, I like saying my character is full of contradictions. The better one gets to know me, the truer this becomes. To list only a few of them:

I hate talking to strangers but am a journalist.

I have high expectations for people but don't expect them to be met.

I like working hard, especially if it involves getting nice and dirty, but I also love getting all dressed up.

I think of myself as a confident person, but constantly ask for reassurance from others.

One of my worst traits is that I'm a judger, but then I spend too much time worrying about others judging me.

I value reason over emotion but get worked up rather easily.

While on the one hand I hate unpredictability, I'd like to be more spontaneous.

I realize that contradiction in character is not unique to myself, but it's something I like to keep track of. These are only a few of my contradictions. Sometimes I astonish myself because of my conflicts in values or ideas and wonder how I manage not to be in a constant state of cognitive dissonance.

No comments: