Friday, September 21, 2007

A week well done

While Pullman is by no means a bustling metropolis, I'm a firm believer in making the best of things and moving forward. So while the Communication School has thus far been a disappointment, I console myself and am made happy through working at the newspaper.

Similarly, while I sometimes miss Olympia's downtown, it is possible to spend an afternoon just as pleasantly in Pullman. After our noon class where we watched an episode of Law & Order (it's a Criminal Law class) the editor and I walked to a nice little thrift shop, hidden among a throng of fraternity and sorority houses. I couldn't resist picking up what at the time I thought to be a rather tacky tie (now I think it's just more ugly) for a collection, and two old books.

After our adventures at the thrift shop, we returned to the newsroom and picked up the managing editor for another trip to Ferdinand's for ice cream. As today was surprising warm, the walk was pleasant. Tomorrow we plan to visit the Farmer's Market in Moscow, ID.

The relaxing and laid back day was all too welcome after a week full of breaking news due to the sexual assault incident on campus. I also had two tests this week. I'm proud of the way we covered the incident but am looking forward to things dying down a bit. I skipped a class on Thursday and spent the afternoon at the courthouse with the copy chief to get an update on the Russell case also.

The week has been a busy one and though I'm a bit tired, it's nice to have busy week once in a while. It makes you feel like you accomplished something. It also makes me appreciate a day like today that much more.

1 comment:

Jim Anderson said...

What a time to take on such an important role at the paper, eh? In the national spotlight, even. When you graduate, you'll have a heckuva resume.

Oh, and the collection awaits. It hasn't grown much since last year.