Friday, September 28, 2007

Week one done

Week one of school is done. Lots more to go. Here are some things I've noted this week.

Anthropology - 8:00 AM - 8:50 AM
~Anthropological is one of my new favorite words.
~My professor was forced to teach "extemporaneously" yesterday and thanks to debate I know what that means.
~"Don't trample each other, it's tacky." A quotation from my professor about evacuating.
~Lesson of today - be careful what you say in front of an anthropologist.

Chemistry - 9:00 AM - 9:50 AM
~Esoteric - another word I like the sound of.
~"I'm typically not such a tricky bastard on exams." One of the things I love about college is that teachers don't have to tip toe around the truth. This quotation is from prof. I believe it was in reference to Sig Figs.
~Contemplation--> Teachers must have incredibly strong shoulder muscles. All that erasing...
~Observation --> Chemistry professors/instructors seem to hate Sig Figs as much as students.

Math - 10:00 AM - 10:50 AM (Yes, you read that right. I have three classes in a row, MWRF. Tuesdays are my only exception when I don't have Chem. lecture and an added lab on Thursdays.)
~Extrapolate - an over used word in mathematics.

Other
~There is a guy I see frequently on campus "ducked" out in UO green and yellow. Every time I see him I happen to be wearing OSU orange. Why is that? I want to know his story.
~Apparently all the elevators in the Environmental Sciences Building get stuck from time to time. Yesterday on my way down this happened. I looked to the girls next to me, one looked equally concerned, the other looked at the two of us and said "oh don't worry all the elevators in this building get stuck." "You're kidding," I replied. "No, just give it a sec and it'll start again." Sure enough it did, but why isn't anyone worried about this?
~Spaghetti still remains the perfect meal after swimming.
~How many calories am I burning everyday between biking, hiking, walking,stressing, swimming, while schleping my backpack (excl. swimming)?
~To schlep is probably one of the coolest verbs in Webster's Dictionary.

4 comments:

Melissa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melissa said...

This year I have two profs who are anthropologists and one who's an ethnographer. It's bad enough to think that a classroom is a perfect case-study in microcosms of society.
But... there's nothing like having a prof who has his PhD in Linguistics as I did last year. I was obsessed with the idea that he was constantly deconstructing every word I deigned to utter in his presence.

Unknown said...

Gee, it's fun for me, to read first-hand what a college student is thinking and studying about.
Love some of your quotables: like "what would you tell an anthropologist about your life?" and the "professor-erasing-shoulder-tunnel-syndrome" bit.
I remember anthropology being one of my favorite college courses...back in the dark ages, and I'm referring to the dark ages of my own college years, not the dark ages of anthropological history!
My question, though: how do you find time to live, eat, study, attend class, and blog?!
Man, my hat's off to you.
My blog is taking over my life, to the point that I have no life outside of blogville.
Just kidding...
Anyway, glad I found you and will return.
Love,
Jlo

Ariel said...

It's actually quite easy. I live only a little, so that doesn't take up much time. My classes are done by 11 on most days (Thursdays are the exception) so that doesn't take up too much time. I eat lunch with my friends at 12, which takes care of half the eating for the day and partial socializing. between 11 and 12 I take an hour to read for anthropology. Then I come home and between then and about 4:30 I study and blog. After swimming around 4:30 (not an everyday activity)my friends and I go to dinner. Then I return home, study some if I need to, watch some TV while I do my math homework, and go to bed at 11.

Phew, see no problemo.
Actually, today I was able to read a book that didn't have to do with school at all!