Saturday, October 13, 2007

Fly or Fly Paper?

When I'm bored in class, along with critiquing people's hair cuts, I find myself creating analogies and metaphors. I think it all stems from several weeks ago when my editor shared one.

This is my newest:

Sometimes I feel like fly paper, but I don't want to catch flies. I'll notice one beginning to come a little close and I'll try to warn it. I mean fly paper gives out signals that it's fly paper. Alas, the silly fly will ignore all signals and come too close. Then it's stuck. I keep trying to brush it off, but it's no use, completely stuck. I've caught an unwanted fly and now have to deal with it. It's annoying.

All kinds of people can act like flies: the overly friendly stranger, an acquaintance who thinks you're close friends, and the most obvious and worst kind, which I prefer not to mention explicitly. It's not that I don't like people, but I like my space, and don't want them to be stuck to me. Everyone has a few unwanted flies.

But then I begin to wonder how many people think of me as a fly on their fly paper and decide maybe I shouldn't be so dramatic.

No comments: