Sunday, October 21, 2007

The Anthropology of Match.com

In my Anthropology book there are little "Think Outside the Box" boxes placed on about every other page. They have little questions in them or mini-assignments to allow you to relate personally to what the text book is trying to communicate to you.

The section I read today was about kinship and domestic life. One of the boxes said go to Match.com and see how other people's cultural interests in their partners relate to yours, basically. How interesting. When I read it I was fascinated by the fact that my book is so up-to-date (if you will). Now I'm thinking it would be cool to conduct an anthropological investigation on people who are successfully "matched up" vs those who aren't and if their cultural views and interests have anything to do with it.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

You could start with a former teacher of yours and his wife. They met on Yahoo! Personals.