Saturday, March 22, 2008

I'd hoped for a smile ...

Yesterday, I was elected to be The Daily Evergeen's editor-in-chief for fall 2008. The experience was surprising. I became more nervous than I thought I would be and I didn't feel at all like I thought I would when I heard I had won.

I thought long and hard about the decision to run. The paper has become my life. As I noted in my presentation, this past year I've spent more time in the newsroom than out of it. I ran for editor-in-chief because I believed it was the best thing I could do for the paper I care about so much.

More experience would always be nice, but I know myself well enough not to do something I'm not ready for. Reactions were not what I expected, but at the end of the day I'm looking forward to next fall.

I know I can do it, and not just because I have to. I wouldn't have run otherwise. I'm glad to be editor-in-chief. I've had great examples to learn from and I hope to be as successful as the editors before me.

3 comments:

Jim Anderson said...

I don't know if I quite told you so, but I was pretty darn confident in your chances. Congratulations!

Christina said...

Thanks

Todd said...

Congratulations!!!! I am calling you tomorrow night/tonight.