Tuesday, August 14, 2007

A summer and day of things learned

I arrived in Pullman yesterday, but my newspaper training has kept me exceedingly busy, and as much as I would have liked to, I can't blog and drive at the same time. I'm about to be late for the ice cream social (fun stuff, I know, but the ice cream is from Ferdinand's), but I shall still attempt to give a quick update.

Things I gained from making plywood all summer:

1) Some money in savings to pay for anything my scholarship doesn't cover.
2) I was able to purchase several new skirts and a few pairs of shoes to add to my closet.
3) A gigantic callous on my right thumb. (I like showing it off to people.)
4) More tolerance for long boring stretches of time. The drive over didn't seem as bad as I remember being in the past. (Although the first half of the drive is a story all in itself which should come at a later date.)
5) The knowledge that money won't be enough to make up for doing a job you hate. I can't imagine working at the plant for more than a few months at a time.

Things I learned in my first day on campus as a sophomore:

1) Single rooms are much better than double rooms.
2) Trying to put your bed on bed-risers all by yourself, is a bad idea.
3) It's not any easier leaving home for your second year, but the first couple days back at school are a lot easier.
4) Pullman/Eastern Washington is hot! (And not in the ridiculous Paris Hilton sense.)
5) In a newsroom, when one says "that line seems too bold," it is important to ask if they are talking about font.

No comments: