Sunday, August 5, 2007

In Bad Taste

The Renaissance fair, as always, was quite the experience. It is one of the few gatherings (beside family reunions) where the odd ones seem to outnumber the normal ones. While the hired actors and costumes and the lady selling ice-cold pickles for $1 were all very entertaining, there were a few things in bad taste this year. In no particular order:

1) There was a young man who painted himself dark brown in an attempt to look like an African-American. Why? I have absolutely no idea. There appeared to be no purpose, unless it was simply to wear large amounts of body paint and little clothing.

2) There was an unfortunate amount of busting bosoms. I understand that much of the dress of the time involved corsets, but it was really quite ridiculous. I don't think they were supposed to be pulled quite that tight. One got sympathy pains merely by looking at these women.

3) The illusion was destroyed several times for me throughout the day. Once, when I spotted the final Harry Potter book sitting under someone's chair and again when the traditional flasks on some of the costumes were replaced with traveling coffee mugs.

4) The gypsies. Never ever trust the gypsies. They are quite gifted at taking your money.

I do have to give special commendation to the man in the giant rabbit suit who simply refused to break character. While my family and I sat eating smoked chicken hinds, he munched on some raw cauliflower.

Until next year.

No comments: