Sunday, December 2, 2007

Winter Haiku*

Snow falls from the sky
A white blanket on the ground
I stay warm inside

I felt inspired watching snow flurries through the newsroom windows.
There has been snow on the ground in Pullman since I returned after Thanksgiving. The roads are maintained fairly well, but I almost got stuck in a parking lot yesterday.

Moments after I finished the Haiku, the editor walked in dripping wet. She even pulled snow out of her pockets. I was inspired a second time.

Attacked by winter
Travelers come dripping wet
Warm ice slicks the floor

*Disclaimer: I am not a poet. I don't have the right kind of creative talent for it. I always just feel like I'm trying to imitate poetry, so I rarely write it. As a child, I was however, very fond of Haiku and wrote many of them. They're simple and easy enough to be one of the few forms of poetry to which I will contribute.

No comments: