Friday, December 7, 2007

A Tired Look

As I was leaving my residence hall this morning, someone else was trying to enter. He was on the phone so I paid him no mind. I opened the door and exited, but then I heard, "You look tired." I thought he must be talking to the person on the phone. He was a complete stranger I had never even seen before. He couldn't possibly be talking to me. Still the sound of his voice made me look up. His phone was off to the side of his face. He had indeed been talking to me.

I was tired. Former editors can into town Wednesday so a group of us stayed up rather late catching up with them. I then got up and went to class at 9:00. Yesterday night was the Evergreen Christmas Party so I was up late again. I woke up this morning feeling tired, it's true. But I don't want to be told I look it, especially by a stranger.

Because I was in fact quite tired, I was more appalled than I would have been otherwise. I turned and just stared at this mouthy stranger. After a few seconds, "What," he sheepishly asked. "I was just making an observation."

I turned and left. But who does that? Why would you tell a stranger they look tired?

3 comments:

Ariel said...

This would only happen to you because you are the only person who has a phobia of doors. Not to mention the fact that you're allergic to awkward situations.

EllePatrice said...

Hi Christina, I'm Davielle. I know we've never actually met but I kinda feel like I know you because of Ariel. Anyway, I know where you're coming from on this post. I hate it when people tell me I look tired. Obviously, there's nothing I can do about it and it only makes me look tired AND feel crabby.
The other one I hate is "You look like I feel," after someone has just said that they feel awful. That's rather annoying.

Unknown said...

Ummm...your prose doesn't look all that perky either.